Wednesday, November 22, 2017

the emoji movie -- an achievement in writing

I've seen a lot of the criticism of The Emoji Movie. When it came out in July it was unanimously condemned. I recall one critic calling it the worst movie of the year. Seriously, a movie based on emojis? Seems like they're scraping the bottom.


But, to celebrate Thanksgiving, I watched it with Sharon and Asher.

I am surprised to report that it's not the steaming pile of crap that I was expecting.

That's not to say it's a good movie. It sucks. Just not as bad as I thought it would. It's on par with Inside Out and Bee Movie.

On the upside, there are a bunch of cute one-liners. For example, at one point the "poop" emojis march together chanting "We're number two!" Early on, we see that the Christmas Tree emoji is named Tim. So I found myself frequently chuckling at some little clever bit that really wasn't related to the story.

Which brings me to the other positive thing to note. There's a plot. It's not a great plot, but it is definitely a plot. And that, I have to say, is a remarkable achievement. I mean, this is a movie about emojis, and they had to come up with a coherent story. Semi-coherent anyway. I can't imagine the faces of the writers when they were told they had to come up with a script for an emoji movie. That's the Kobayashi Maru of screenwriting.

Considering the situation they were thrust into, they performed admirably.

2 comments:

  1. Which had more of a plot, the first two martial arts films you saw in Keith's class or The Emoji Movie?

    Is the Bechtel Test passed if qualifying dialogue is exchanged between two female emojis?

    As a writer of well-known comics characters, I cannot imagine what it must be like to write a"movie" for emojis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had more plot than "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and less plot than "Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin."

      Yes. If two emojis that are clearly designed to be female (e.g., Mrs. Meh) have qualifying dialogue, then it passes Bechdel. Similarly for two clearly female vehicles in "Cars" or two clearly females in "Monsters Inc."

      Delete