Tuesday, October 18, 2016

my first comic con

This past Sunday was a first for me: My first trip to a comic book convention. It shouldn't really surprise, since I've never been much of a comic book guy. I liked Archie and Richie Rich comics when I was a kid, but I was never much for superheroes.

But this was a Stack-Up event. The first ever Fort Hamilton ComicCon seemed like a perfect event to attend for Stack-Up. Stack-Up is based around video games instead of comic books, but there is lots of crossover from one aspect of geek culture to another. And this one, located in historic Fort Hamilton, was catering largely to a military crowd. Anyway, we (mostly Ethan and Blair) spread the word, handing out Stack-Up stickers and info cards, and tweeting pictures of vendors, staff and attendees holding up the cards,

Asher and the kids' friend, Nolan, took a class in light saber fighting, and Blair and the kids sat in on a solve-the-mystery game.

For me, the highlight was a screening of the 1979 cult classic, The Warriors, which was followed by a Q&A with David Harris, who played Cochise. Earlier, they had a screening of The Toxic Avenger and a Q&A with Dan Snow who played Cigar Face. I skipped that -- I saw TA years ago in grad school and couldn't stand it then.

We had fun at this comic con, though there was definitely room for improvement. The screening tent was too bright, so the screen was washed out. And, for what seemed like the longest time, we sat and watched the DVD's splash screen since no one thought to start the show. The various panel discussions were poorly attended and not well run.

Oh well, there's always next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment