Monday, May 2, 2016

the one thing i don't like about the good, the bad and the ugly

It would be hard to pin down one movie as my favorite. Things like that are likely tochange from day to day with my mood. But one of the candidates is the quintessential spaghetti Western, The Goo, the Bad and the Ugly.

GB&U is a film of wide scope, following three gunslingers as they chase down a cache of Confederate gold during the Civil War. It's got humor, it's got pathos. It has one of the most haunting soundtracks in movie history. Every time I watch it I notice something that I hadn't noticed before. Oh, also, it's got a great early reference to "monologing." I love Tuco's line in this clip:


But there is one thing I don't like. In the beginning, as the three main characters are introduced, we see script writing appear on screen to tell us which one is the good, which one is the bad, and which one is the ugly.I can't help thinking that the movie would have been better without spelling that out. Let the audience decide. Better yet, let them debate.


No comments:

Post a Comment