Thursday, June 11, 2020

thursday nights in new york -- the apartment


As the pandemic continues*, I continue my weekly recommendation of a movie set in New York.

Tonight's offering: The Apartment (1960)

A nebbishy accountant hopes to get ahead by letting his managers at the insurance company where he works use his apartment for their affairs. But the arrangement is getting in the way of his life

The Apartment is an enjoyably quirky little comedy. It doesn't really have a lot to say, but it's fun to watch. And the chemistry between  Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon is really good. My only problem was that I keep seeing Lemmon's role as being a kind of proto-Felix Unger.

New Yorkiness Rating: 3 out of 4
New York isn't the star, and I guess this could have been set in another city. But somehow it does feel like a New York thing. Plus, I love those UWS brownstones.

*At least there's no curfew now


No comments:

Post a Comment