Tuesday, June 30, 2020

seinfeld meets all in the family?


There have been a couple recent instances on social media where I had occasion to refer to All in the Family's famous shoes and socks debate. So a friend suggested that it seemed like something out of Seinfeld. While I don't deny that the the proper order of on-putting shoes and socks is something that the Seinfeld gang would have obsessed over, I think they would have handled it differently.

For starters, in the AitF episode, this was an aside -- a two minute diversion. In Seinfeld, it would have been a plotline (admittedly, a B plotline). I can see it now. George is at his girlfriend's apartment and notices her getting dressed (for the rest of this post I will call her Kristen -- just for convenience). A concerned look comes over his face.

Later, at Jerry's place, he's in a panic as he tells his friend about it. "But Jerry! She puts on sock shoe sock shoe! I don't know how I never noticed!" Jerry tries in vain to come up with a justification, but meekly acknowledges that Kristen's behavior is unacceptable. "Nobody does sock-shoe-sock-shoe!" George emphasizes. At some point Kramer makes his usual insane entry. Without any buildup or context-giving preamble, George tells him that "Kristen does sock-shoe-sock-shoe!" Kramer snaps backwards as if he's been punched in the face.

And, at the end of the episode, Kristen breaks up with George. He wants to know why. "Well," she says sheepishly, "it's just that I noticed...you get dressed sock sock shoe shoe."

No comments:

Post a Comment