Sunday, April 26, 2020

game over, man!

Does anyone else's company do this?

In order to encourage employees to be healthy, my company has signed onto a wellness program. We can get points for logging a variety of activities -- some active like walking or exercising, others more passive like reading or spending quality time with a pet. It included challenges, webinars, and all sorts of other ways to earn points. The points can be exchanged for gift cards -- each employee can get up to $300 worth, and we have until November 30 to do it.

My friends at work are varied in their approach to it. Some aren't bothering at all. Others are doing the various things to get points, but taking a leisurely approach since they have plenty of time. One friend isn't paying much attention, but he has some electronic tracker hooked up so he gets credit for steps taken.

Me? I turned it into a game and a challenge to get to the full $300 worth of points as quickly as I could. That meant a morning ritual to grab the daily points available, some extra activities every Sunday (for the weekly points), attending webinars, and more. There's a list online of things to do for points. And I really got into it, too. I created a spreadsheet to track what I did, with lookup tables to show the points. It graphed my progress -- as well as the decrease in points needed per day to reach the goal by the end of November. I even shared one day's graph on Facebook (and received constructive feedback from a colleague who -- I assume -- didn't know what it was I was graphing).

And, yesterday, I reached the goal. Once my points are processed, I'll get my $300 -- which I'll take in Amazon gift cards.

And, strangely, I miss it. Today was the first day that I didn't get up and say "I have to log in to the wellness portal and check my cards, and do a journey step and a ;whil' session." I asked the woman at work who administers the system. I can still earn extra points, but there's no financial incentive. I even asked if I could transfer extra points to a friend. No dice. It's gonna be a long summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment