Monday, February 24, 2020

pietrusza on the year of six presidents


Growing up, I was never a history buff. I'm still not. But with Ethan getting more and more into history -- especially when it deals with interesting personalities, I've found myself going with him to talks by biographers, historians and pundits. The latest -- that is, the latest that I attended with him -- was up in Plymouth Notch, Vermont (where Calvin Coolidge was born, sworn in as President and buried).

David Pietrusza was talking about the 1920 election, which he wrote about in his 2008 book, 1920: The Year of the Six Presidents.* Ethan and I had seen him talk about the subject before -- a month or so ago we caught the talk in Northampton, Massachusetts. I'm not sure what I can say to recommend the talk enough -- especially since you can watch the video (that's me asking a couple questions at about the 51 minute mark). But, if actions speak louder than words, keep in mind that, having already heard him Pietrusza talk on the subject, Ethan and I drove four hours each way to hear it again.

*The six presidents referred to in the title (as Pietrusza explains) are Teddy Roosevelt, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover and Franklin Roosevelt. Watch the talk (or read the book) to understand why.



No comments:

Post a Comment