Monday, December 30, 2019

ca-fiend!

Being that caffeine is one of most important ingestibles, I am trying to keep track of the caffeine content of various soda products. I've known for a while that Pepsi has more caffeine than Coke, and Dr. Pepper has more than Pepsi. Oh, and Mountain Dew has even more. But at some point it gets difficult to remember the entire heirarchy.

Rather than go to a store and just check all the labels, I have gotten into the habit of checking cans when I either have one (Ssshhhh! don't tell Marina!) or see a friend or colleague having one. The table (so far) is shown in the illustration.

Here are a few comments and notes:

  • This is still a small sample (maybe if ,my reader is nice I'll post an update when the list is longer)
  • It appears that all products with the same branding (e.g., all types of "Coke" or all types of "Pepsi") have the same caffeine content. I assume that the difference between the 12-ounce can of Coke (2.8333 mg caffeine per ounce) and the 20-ounce bottle of Orange Vanilla Coke (2.8500 mg caffeine per ounce) is due to rounding. Similarly for the difference between Cherry Pepsi and Pepsi (with real sugar).
  • For now, this is just about sodas. Not iced teas or energy drinks. I may change that approach if I feel like it.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment