Wednesday, September 11, 2019

meeting an idol

In my Tunesday post from this week, I explained at length why I wasn't going to attend the book signing for Will Birch's new tome, Cruel to Be Kind: The Life and Music of Nick Lowe.

So, well, I went.

Yesterday, during the day, I called the Strand and found out that I could get a refund for my tickets. I was really close to cancelling my reservation and taking the refund, but something was holding me back. Yeah, I didn;t want to wait for hours to make sure I had a seat, and I didn't want to stand for the whole event. And I was feeling let down, having learned that I wouldn't be able to get a picture with Nick. But I still really wanted to go. Nick is a natural raconteur, and Will Birch has proven himself a really good storyteller. So when the events guy on the phone said he could reserve two seats for me (Ethan would be tagging along as my plus-one), well, that sealed the deal.

And I'm really glad I went.

I didn't know if this was to be a Q&A, or a simple reading, or what. In the end, it was kind of a conversation guided by Alison Stewart. Nick and Will both displayed the easy humor of longtime friends who are willing to share ideas and tease each other good-naturedly. My favorite moment was when Nick mentioned that he wasn't sure if something made it into the book, and Will asked in a faux-accusatory tone, "So you haven't read it?"

Nick talked about various aspects of his life and career, attributing a lot of his success to luck, or at least the ability to cling to that which would help elevate him.

In answer to an audience question, Nick said that he and Dave Edmunds aren't in touch. He noted that Edmunds is a bit of a recluse (something which has become quite obvious to observant fans). He also said that Edmunds seems displeased with him, but he doesn't know why. I'm not terribly surprised, but it does sadden me. That said, it doesn't sound like the kind of blood feud that some fan sites describe.

But perhaps the most interesting parts of the conversation were when they talked about the process of putting it together. It seems as though Nick might not have agreed to cooperate if he had known the project would make it to fruition. And yet he had enough honesty to allow himself to be portrayed warts and all.

After the conversation, Nick performed "Cruel to Be Kind" and "Love Starvation." That alone was worth the price of admission.
(video by Nancy Laub)

But the big surprise was that Nick came out to chat with the fans, sign whatever was thrust his way, and even pose for pictures. And that's another reason I'm really glad I went. If I had cancelled my plans, based in part on word that he would not be posing for pictures, I would have been really pissed off today when I saw the fan page on Facebook filled with pictures from the event. Also, while waiting to meet Nick, I happened to meet Dave Edmunds' ex-wife. For whatever that's worth.

After Ethan took a bunch of pictures of Nick and me, Nick did a pretty good job of sizing up the obvious dynamics. "Hey, Ethan," he said, "I'm really sorry you had to come to this."

Always too honest for his own good, Ethan replied, "It wasn't so bad."

Nick concluded by noting that his son, Roy, would have responded similarly.

My only regret is that, having found that one of the stars of the evening was willing to go beyond what was promised, I didn't have the presence of mind to see if I could get a picture with Will Birch. Between his books, the songs he's written, the records he's produced, and (of course) the music he made aa a member of the Kursaal Flyers and of The Records, it would have been great to have gotten a picture with him.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. When I have a chance I'll edit to give you credit. I hope you dont mind my using it.

      Delete
  2. It's fine, I figure when I put something on YouTube it's up for grabs. Credit would be nice though. Check my photos on Facebook, in the Nick Lowe fan club page, I got many good ones

    ReplyDelete