Saturday, September 14, 2019

kizza!

I'm not sure how the idea came to me. But it did. That, according to what seems to be the consensus was a major spiritual failing on my part.

Maybe it was the fact that I had a container of kiwi fruit on my desk. And that I was hungry. At any rate, I started wondering what pizza would taste like with kiwi on it. I put it out on Facebook because, well, everyone knows that the best way to get a reliable answer is to throw the question out to a self-selecting mob.

The Facebook answers were largely in agreement, except for the couple of folks who thought of so-called "dessert pizza," everyone seemed to think that kiwi pizza sounded like a bad idea. But more -- it wasn't just bad food. It was some kind of spiritual transgression. Which meant I had to try it.

Bear in mind that I was thinking about pineapple pizza. That's a hotly debated topic in the pizza world, with traditionalists rejecting the idea --sort of like cinnamon raisin bagels raised to the tenth power. Myself, I'm not crazy about pineapple on pizza, but I find it edible. That said, pineapple and pizza both taste better if not mixed. At any rate, that was my model. Pineapple is a sweet but tangy fruit, and so is kiwi. Maybe they'd be OK together. And, over the phone, Blair reminded me that I have relatives who put cheddar cheese on apple pie. I don't find that at all appealing, but it's a similar concept -- a mixing of sweet and savory.

So, come lunchtime, I went out and got a couple slices. Then off to lunch with a colleague (who took one of the pictures) in Conference Room 16Q.**

I sliced up a kiwi and put some pieces on the end of one of the pizza slices -- I was all down for trying it, but I didn't want to ruin a whole slice in case it was vile.

The verdict? It wasn't terrible. It wasn't great, but it was edible. That whole tart/sweet combination was doing its thing. Sort of like pineapple pizza. I don't think I'll ever have it again -- if I want pizza and kiwi in the same meal, it's better to keep them separate.

What I'd love to know is how many of the people who reacted completely negatively to the idea also hate pineapple pizza?


*I won't reveal his name. Suffice to say he also likes food.
**Yes, for real.

5 comments:

  1. Some decades ago, pineapple on pizza was some oddball thing that I would enjoy once a year in California. Now, it’s pretty much mainstream. So, maybe the kiwi’s got a future too?

    As for “Conference Room 16Q”, let’s hope they never decide to segment the space into fourths – and “divide 16Q by 4”! …‘Cause they’d have to find a NEW NAME for it, once they realize it’s now “4Q”!

    ReplyDelete