Thursday, January 25, 2018

i'm protected

In an unexpected turn of events, orders of protection have been issued to keep two people (whom I have never met) away from me.

The surprise came with the mail -- four (or was it five?) envelopes from the Queens County District Attorney. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of a nervous person. So I see these envelopes and start panicking. What are these? What can it mean? Am I being accused of something?
Opening an envelope, it took me a moment to figure out what it was. In the middle of the cover letter, in bold print, I saw "INSTRUCTIONS ON READING THE ORDER OF PROTECTION." Did I mention that I'm a nervous person?

When I saw that, I immediately started trying to figure out what the hell I did that someone got an order of protection against me. Finally, when I calmed down enough to read it, I was listed as the "Protectant" and someone else was listed as  "Defendant."


Phew! That's a load off my mind. But wait! Why is there this order of protection? What happened that this person wants to kill me? Oh my God! I'm gonna get murdered!*

Part of what had me so confused is that I simply don't have any experience with orders of protection. I didn't know they can be issued without you even asking for them. Once I calmed down enough to view it rationally. I remembered the water theft that happened last week. I wrote about it here. The police had told me I might hear from the District Attorney. I knew that there may be criminal charges -- if it's determined that the items these people stole (from other porches as well as mine) are collectively worth enough to make it worth pursuing.

I can only assume that these orders of protection are related to that theft. That it's a matter of course** and all the identified victims are also protectants. Maybe it's prophylactic. Maybe it's a way of potentially upping the charges (assuming the thieves return to any of the same homes to steal again).

The one thing that's truly odd is that the document orders the defendant to (among other things):
Refrain from assault, stalking, harassment, aggravated harassment, menacing, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct, criminal mischief, sexual abuse, sexual misconduct, forcible touching, intimidation, threats or any criminal offense or interference with...members of the family or household of...Marc Whinston.
Seems to me these actions are already illegal. Maybe it's, again, about upping the possible charges in case they come back.

The cover letter lists a phone number for a Crime Victims Advocate Program, but I didn't see the mail until too late in the day to call. I'll try in the morning. As for tonight, I'll keep a baseball bat by the bed.

*Yeah...still nervous
**I hope so, anyway. What if it's not and my family is truly in danger? Did I mention that I'm a nervous type?

No comments:

Post a Comment