Sunday, January 7, 2018

i get results

In the words of the Traveling Wilburys, "Oh, the sweet smell of success." Maybe there should be an exclamation point there.

Back in September, I wrote (here) about a concern I had with traffic control devices at the intersection of Homelawn Street and the Grand Central Parkway. The long and short of it is that there was contradictory signage. The metal sign indicated that you could make a left turn from the right lane. But the markings on the street indicated that the right turn was for going straight only. See the first picture on this entry.

The blogpost, in and of itself, didn't lead to change. I guess I don't have as much influence as the New York Times or even the Queens Tribune. And, when I emailed the offices of my City Councilman (whose district includes the intersection in question), I never heard back.

But two months after the blogpost, I mentioned it to the president of the Jamaica Estates Association. Per his instructions, I emailed him a link to the blogpost. He forwarded it to Community Board 8. There ensued a bunch of emails about how they really needed to get it fixed ASAP. And, honestly, I was skeptical.

But I drove by there today. Lo and behold, it's been fixed. The metal signs now indicate that the right line is for going straight.

Hooray for me.

1 comment:

  1. its all in knowing the proper people to complain to

    huzzah!

    ReplyDelete