Sunday, December 25, 2016

some songs for the holiday

As a nonChristian, I don't "celebrate" Christmas. But since I am a member of society Christmas is part of my reality. With that in mind, here for Christmas are some Christmas songs that I love. Or at least like a lot. Your mileage may vary.

Run Rudolph Run -- Chuck Berry
I came to know this song via Dave Edmunds' cover version. And I like that version better. But credit to the originator.

Father Christmas -- The Kinks
OK. It's not really Christamssy. Whatever...

Christmas in Hollis  -- Run-DMC
I'm not the biggest rap fan, but there are some rap songs I like, and this is one of them. It also helps that I grew up near Hollis. And live near it today, while we're on the topic.

Stop the Cavalry -- Jona Lewie
A soldier on the front lines wishes to be with his family.

Snoopy's Christmas -- The Royal Guardsmen
Probably the dopiest song on this list, but I have a soft spot for the these guys.

The Night Santa Went Crazy -- "Weird Al" Yankovic
I have always liked Weird Al's original songs better than his parodies. And this is actually one of his best.

A Christmas Carol -- Tom Lehrer
Tom Lehrer is among the masters of comedy music. This bit of cynical folderol is a good example.

The Lonely Jew on Christmas -- Kyle Broflovski
This isn't quite the same version as I remember from the first South Park Christmas episode. The fact is it does do a pretty good job of capturing the feelings of many kids who feel left out.

Christmas at Ground Zero -- "Weird Al" Yankovic
Normally if I make a list like this I would purposely avoid including two songs by any one artist or band. I'll make an exception for Al.

I'm a Christmas Tree -- Wild Man Fischer and Dr. Demento
The less said about Wild Man Fischer the better. No, really.

Don't Shoot Me Santa -- The Killers
Why does this make me think I'm watching a Breaking Bad video?

Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) -- The Ramones
There's something about the Raomones' sound that I love. And this is classic Ramones.

The Season's Upon Us -- Dropkick Murphys
Among the best songs from one of the best Celtic-flavored punk bands. And maynbe, just maybe, they'll make you feel better about your own dysfunctional family.

I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas -- Spike Jones and the City Slickers
It's not Spike's best work, as he largely laid off the big sound effects. But it's cute and clever.

Hooray for Santy Claus -- from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

A crappy Pia Zadora Christmas movie about Martians and Christmas spawned this upbeat tune, I was really tempted to include Sloppy Seconds' punk version instead, but respect for the original won out.

Christmas Wrapping -- The Waitresses

This is one of those songs that a new wave fan of my age couldn't help but hearing over and over.

2 comments:

  1. I liked Father Christmas back when I was a big Kinks fan... in the 80's? This is the first time I've seen the video, which is pretty bad. But listening to the song again now, I don't get it. First it's a parody, but then preachy: "remember those who have nothing..." Does he mean the ones who rob him? That's odd. Maybe he means those who don't? Unclear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't really know what it's supposed to be about. Probably socioeconomic commentary about the poor and the "root causes" of crime? Let me read the lyrics and think about them...

      For now, it's got a catchy beat.

      Delete