Friday, December 2, 2022

cinema history class: frenzy (1972)

 The session: "1972: Fifty Years of Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy."

All four movies in this session are from the year 1972 -- The year that brought us Richard Nixon's reelection, the ugliest baseball cards in Topps' history, and the Dow's first close above 1,000.


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Week 1: Frenzy (1972)
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

My Impressions Going In:
I was completely unfamiliar with this.

Plot:

Women in London are being strangled with neckties. And the police have the wrong man. Horror ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
Quit laughing at me -- just because I hadn't heard of this Hitchcock classic. I attend this class to learn things I don't know -- not the things I do.

I have to hand it to Hitchcock. This had me on edge until the end. This was more thrilling than the other Hitchcock films I've seen. But that's probably a function of the fact that this was the early 1970s. I have a soft spot for movies from that era. And this is near the top. One of the interesting things about Hitchcock films  -- and I think it was Dave who made note of it -- is that they are mysteries where the audience knows exactly what is happening. The essence is that you know something that the characters don't.

Having said that, I did notice a couple of plot elements that didn't make sense. And they bothered me. But at least the ending was strong. The pith reminded me of the end of The Taking of Pelham 123, which is also a favorite.

What a fun ride!

Ratings
Me: 9.8
Bob-O: 9.9
Christina: 9.65
Dave: 9.9
Ethan: 10
Joe: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment