Tuesday, November 8, 2022

happy tunesday! i don't want to go to toronto


Fans of Dr. Demento (yes, invoking that name definitely dates me) are likely familiar with "Bulbous Bouffant," a little verbal sketch by The Vestibules that has gotten a lot of play on his show. "BB" has also been featured on at least one Demento-branded compilation.

We were talking about it and I wondered what else The Vestibules did. And I found this little gem, "I Don't Want to Go to Toronto." And I love it, so I figured I'd share it here.

I do note that I listened to some other stuff and came across "Something's Wrong with Gilligan's Island," which is also very entertaining (but not quite as entertaining). I bring this up because I note a very thematic similarity between the two. Both feature a grungy but catchy refrain and hook which is endlessly repeated. Over the refrain, someone shouts a litany of absurdist exclamations that support the title of the song. For example, "Something's Wrong with Gilligan's Island includes (among other things) the assertion that "The boat is no longer called "The Minnow." It's now called "The Daily Special Includes Soiup and a Salad!" I love it. I love both. But I wouldn't want to listen to a whole album of it back to back to back to... Inserted, mixed in with my music collection, it would be perfect.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment