Saturday, October 1, 2022

what really happened on june 14, 1987?

 I've been watching Seinfeld, the TV series, on Netflix. I never made a point of watching it in its original run. Over the years, I've seen a bunch of the episodes and lots of clips. I'm familiar with a lot of the catchphrases and the major characters. But now I decided to watch it from episode 1...start to finish. Except, I suppose, for that one episode in the last season that's unavailable because it offended people. I'll let Joe address that issue.

I'm in the third season; last night I watched the two-part episode, "The Boyfriend," in which Jerry strikes up a friendship with Keith Hernandez, the former baseball player. Part of the episode centers on Kramer and Newman hating Hernandez because they believe he spat at them after a game. The whole thing is played as a parody of the Kennedy assassination, and it's done pretty well. I won't go into detail, since that would take too long and I won't do it justice.



But the one thing that annoys me.

The episode would have you believe that, on June 14, 1987, the Mets lost to the Phillies because of a crucial error by Hernandez. In truth, on that date the Mets beat the Pirates 7-3 (in Pittsburgh). That totally ruins the plot for me (/sarc). Keith Hernandez played for the Mets for six and a fraction seasons. I can't help but assume that, during that time, there was at least one loss that could plausibly be blamed (at least in part) on him, and used for the plot. 

In fairness to the writers, I do acknowledge that the episode  was made in the early 1990s. Back then it wasn't so easy to look up what happened on any given date, or search to find a game that suits the needs of the episode. It's not as if I actually remembered what happened on that day. I looked it up on baseball reference. Were it not so easy to uplook such things, I never would have checked.


No comments:

Post a Comment