Tuesday, May 21, 2019

happy tunesday! ("sail away ladies" by the dusty buskers)


I don;t remember exactly what year it was that I first heard the Dusty Buskers, but I'm reasonably sure that it was more than ten years ago. We were visiting friends in Tucson, Arizona, which we did every year. Wandering through the Fourth Street Festival, I saw a three-piece band playing -- one guy on guitar, one on fiddle and one on washboard.

They were playing old songs with a kind of infectious rustic sound. They were selling CDs, but no one was buying. I stood and watched. And listened. Slowly growing more and more enamored of this old timey fun group. After a few songs, I bought a copy of the disc. That seemed open the floodgates, as suddenly several others who had been watching like me bought copies too. And pretty soon they were sold out.

I overheard one of the guys telling another to run to Kinko's and make more copies of the disc. Yeah, this was definitely a DIY job.

As soon as I was back in the car I had the disc in, and was listening to it. I was not disappointed.

Over the ensuing years, the Dusty Buskers put out a few more albums -- all more professional-looking in the packaging. It has, however, been a struggle to find out about the releases. I don;t really know what the group is up to now, but I love the music I have of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment