Thursday, July 26, 2018

to stream my music -- please help me

Actually, this post is a plea for help from my more technical-minded friends.

Short version:
How do I upload my music collection to the cloud so that I can stream it on my phone (or a computer, I suppose) when I am not at home.

Long version:
I love listening to music, but I'm generally not into listening to music on the radio. I much prefer listening to my music. From my collection. It seems like a contradiction, but I've been this way since high school, which is when I first got into music. At the time I started making mix tapes. And I made more mix tapes. Then more. And as the technology has changed, I've changed with it. Well, I've changed behind it, but you get the picture. At this point, I've been ripping my CD collection onto a computer, so that when I'm at home I can listen to it on shuffle play. It becomes my ultimate mix tape. With tens of thousands of songs.

And on days when I work from home, I pretty much spend the whole time having music playing in the background. I turn it off for meetings, of course, but other than that, it's on.


I had tried to get the music from my computer onto my phone. But space limitations on my phone forced me to start trying to decide what to put on it, and it became a big hassle. So I kind of dropped the idea -- until someone suggested I use Google Play Music (or whatever its name is) to upload my music to the cloud. Then, he said, I'd be able to log into my account on any web-enabled device, and stream music from my collection. But for some reason I couldn't get it done. I found it cumbersome, in Google Play Music to find the page to upload my music, and when I did my computer wouldn't allow it. Maybe that was ESet, which is my anti-malware protection?

Now, I know there are lots of ways of listening to music online that don't involve it being my collection. There are radio stations that stream, and there are services that will customize the music around my taste. I kind of enjoyed Pandora for a while. But none of these solutions feel as satisfying to me as listening to my music. streaming randomly.

So, can anyone recommend a service that will allow me to make an account, upload my music to the web, and then stream it through their website or an app on my phone? I don't care if there are ads, but I want the service to be free. And easy to use. Any thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Give Google Drive a try, it's less cumbersome than Google Play Music. It's just a cloud storage account, you can put any files you want in Google Drive, including MP3's, and organize them into folders. Then you can play them from your phone using the Google Drive app, or on your computer through your web browser. You can also put videos in Google Drive, and watch the videos on your phone or browser.

    ReplyDelete