Saturday, May 6, 2023

cinema history class: necromancy (1972)

The session: "A tribute to Mr. Big: Bert I. Gordon Month"
This month we pay tribute to director Bert I. Gordon, who passed away this past March at age 100




As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Week 3: Necromancy (1972)
Directed by Bert I. Gordon

My Impressions Going In:
I had heard of this, but for some reason my impression was that it was a very slick high-tech film.

Plot:

After their child is stillborn, a young couple decide to relocate to a small out-of-the-way town. Once there, they learn of the high price of residency.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
Part of Necromancy were interesting, but it played like a fever dream -- a disjointed incoherent fever dream. The ending was better than I expected, and did elevate the experience. Still and all, there's just too much to fault. Now, in fairness -- or maybe just to play devil's advocate, I note that the ending does provide a reasonable explanation for the disjointed fever-dream feel of the film. Still and all, I just couldn't like the damn thing.

What a waste of Orson Welles...

Ratings
Me: 5
Bob-O: 5
Christina: 7.1
Dave: 8.5
Ethan: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment