Tuesday, August 6, 2019

happy tunesday! ("bouncy castles" by beth goudie)


There's a little bit of a story here.

Beth Goudie is a British singer-songwriter who recently put out her debut album, Our Hearts Will Conquer. Spoiler alert: this song isn't on it. I came across the Kickstarter campaign which she was using to fund the album, and just loved her voice. I also noticed that, for £75, I could have her record a song of my choice. My immediate thought was to sign up and ask her to record one of my songs.

I've taken advantage of offers like that before -- When Bobtown recorded their third album, A History of Ghosts, I participated in exchange for a recording of "Five Missing One." And when Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby were recording A Working Museum, I got a recording of "Do You Think of Me (Now and Again)." In both cases I was immensely pleased.

Unlike those campaigns, though, the cost of this was a lot less -- less than a fifth. Which should have tipped me off that I was misunderstanding what Beth was offering. What she had in mind was a simple one-take recording of her singing the song while playing it on guitar -- not the fully produced demo that I was imagining. Still, I was game -- Beth has such a lovely voice, and I loved the idea of having it wrapped around one of my songs. In the end, she declined to do the cover -- the challenges of performing an unpublished song (and, I suppose, coming up with an arrangement with little guide) made her uncomfortable. She offered to refund my money, though I opted to take a partial refund and get an autographed copy of her album.

The album came today, and it's worth every cent. Beth's songs are beautiful and her voice is sublime. I am sharing this song for Tunesday (instead of one from the album) because I couldn't quickly find a Youtube video of any of the songs on the album -- at least not one of high quality. There are a couple of concert performances, but the sound quality is lacking.

At any rate, here's Beth Goudie. If you want to buy her album, you can do so here. Tell her Moish sent ya.




No comments:

Post a Comment