Saturday, March 24, 2018

three minor commerce-related events from my day

I have three commerce-related observations from today.

  • I was at the annual LIDS luncheon. I have a job within LIDS to handle sales of marker stakes -- metal poles you stick in the ground to mark what plants are planted where. I bring boxes of stakes to the meetings and put them out on a table with a cash box. People who want the stakes are supposed to take what they want and leave the money in the box. It's an honor system. Today, after the meeting, I went to pack up and found that people had paid a total of $21.82. The stakes cost $1.50 each. Someone please explain.
  • While Blair and I were at the LIDS luncheon, the kids walked to Qdoba for burritos. When they got there, they noticed that the cashier was a guy who was rude to them the last time they went. And that wasn't the first time he was rude to them. Today, when they saw him they turned around and left. They went to Five Guys for lunch instead. Good for them.
  • On the way home we went to Costco. I had with me the certificate for our annual rebate. When I went to pay, I gave the cashier our Costco-branded credit card and the rebate certificate. He asked if I wanted to take the amount on the certificate out of the bill and pay with the rest with the credit card. I started to say yes, but then the light went on.

    "Can I get the rebate in cash and put the entire bill on the card?"
    "Sure"
    "Then let me do that."

    So I paid for everything with the credit card. Then he rescanned the card and rebate certificate. And then he gave me the rebate in cash. It doesn't really make much of a difference, but it does mean an extra $7 and change on my next rebate. Ka-ching!

No comments:

Post a Comment