Monday, February 12, 2018

suzy saxon and the anglos -- now more digital than ever!

UPDATE: I modified the second paragraph to better reflect what I meant when I wrote it.

One of the bands I really loved back when I was in college was a kind-of new wave rock group from Richmond, Virginia, called Suzy Saxon and the Anglos*. Before I go on, here's a video of their single, "Boys in Dresses."


A female singer fronting a band of men in the early eighties, the Anglos drew the inevitable comparisons to Blondie or The Pretenders. But there was a certain roughness -- almost grunginess -- to their guitar sound that I found energizing. With that, they were much better, at least to my taste, than those other new wave bands. "Boys in Dresses" (video above) was one of the standout tracks on their impressive debut album, Guilt by Association. Another was "Get Out of My Stomach." Just typing that title brings the chorus back to my mind:
Get out of my mind.
Get out of my stomach.
Get out of my life.
You're not my kind. No way!
Mind you, I'm typing this all by heart -- no checking of reference materials. Finding out about the Anglos, getting (and reviewing) their record, interviewing Suzy for an article, seeing them in concert...those were some of the great experiences I had running the music section of a campus newspaper.

Why do I bring this up now?

As I am wont to do, I was playing around in Youtube, and absent-mindedly typed their name in. I found the video above. And the memories came flooding back...

The video was posted by Mad Dog, which I recognized as the pseudonym of the Anglos' producer/raconteur. Mad Dog also owned and ran Brat Records, the label that put out the album ("By Brats, for Brats" was the slogan, IIRC). So I posted a comment. And Mad Dog responded. They've been digitizing the band's material and posting it on Soundcloud. It's here, in case you're interested. And, if you have any taste in music, you are interested.

Mad Dog also said they'll be digitizing the vinyl -- the group's first three albums -- Guilt by Association, Scream to Be Heard and A Deal's a Deal, were never released on CD, or in any digital form. As far as I know, anyway. Which is a shame, because there's so much great material there. But now there's hope. I really can't wait to hear their cover of Cat Stevens' "Wild World" again.

Now, can someone who understands the interwebs better than I do tell me how I can buy the downloads of this?

*It's late now, so I won;t bore all y'all with the details of how I came across them. Hint: It involved my role as Music Editor of Skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment