Thursday, August 31, 2017

my favorite pizza

My review of Lucia Pizza on Yelp.

I'm a bit late on this, since I've loved Lucia for decades. But here goes.
I used to live in Flushing, about two miles east of the last stop on the 7 train. Lucia is right by the 7 train. There is a bus that goes from the 7 train right past my old apartment. But at one point I started walking home from the subway after work. And over the course of time I tried as many of the pizza shops on the way home as possible. I took different routes to get as many shops as I could. I can't swear that I got them all, but I got a lot. And Lucia was, hands down, the best of them. 
I can't say exactly what it is I like about them -- taste is a subjective thing. Part of it is the freshness. Most pizza shops these days make 40 zillion varieties, and they all sit out and get stale. At Lucia they make cheese pizza. If you want a slice with pepperoni, they'll put pepperoni on a slice and put it in the oven for you. But generally there are two kinds out -- Neopolitan (the round thin crust kind) and Sicilian (the square thick crust kind). So the pizza is always fresh. But that can't be the entirety of the explanation. Because the fact is that if I leave a Lucia pie out overnight, it still tastes better the next day than almost all other shops' pizzas do when they're fresh. So maybe it's that they use better ingredients than most. Maybe it's that they simply have a better recipe. I don't know. I just know that I like the taste better than any other shop I've been to. And I've been to a lot of pizza shops.
It's been 17 years since I left Flushing, so I can't get Lucia as often as I'd like, but I still go back when I can, either to have a slice (or three) there or to take a pie home. AGain, because I haven't found better pizza.
 
Now I'm hungry...Thanks, Yelp. 
PS: I'm not sure why Yelp thinks I'm in San Francisco. I'm not. Whatever.
 I should have noted that Lucia is a tiny place -- there's not much seating. But it is so worth it...

No comments:

Post a Comment