Saturday, September 3, 2016

famous among people who know me

I attI had made plans with a colleague to go out for dinner, and we were meeting in the hotel lobby (along with two others whom I had never met before). One of them introduced himself, and asked my name. I told him. His response was "So, you're the famous Marc Whinston."

This had me puzzled. I'm not famous. My initial thought was that it was a joke. I'm not above doing things like that. On occasion, a friend will introduce me to someone I've never met before and I react as if we had met years before. Or I'll say "Hi Bob" or "Hey, Mike!" to a stranger. Usually, people don't react. But when I've got the name right, that's when the fun begins. I once had a guy going for a few minutes, until he asked where we met. I gambled. "That proctology convention in Tampa." Go big or go home. But, alas, he had never been to a proctology convention in Tampa.

On the other hand, this was an actuarial crowd, I've heard that, at the Fellowship Admissions Course, they still sometimes tell the story of how I received my FSA diploma. It seems that only happens when there'a TIAA actuary there, and there's a comment along the lines of "Do you know Marc Whinston? You might like this story." This guy was not from TIAA, but maybe he heard the story at a FAC?

Sadly, the truth was more mundane. This guy's father-in-law is someone I shared an office with for a few years.

I guess I am famous. At least among people who know me.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well..
    http://minebrowse.com/

    ReplyDelete