Wednesday, January 25, 2023

cinema history class: the beast of hollow mountain (1956)

The session: "Westerns with a Twist of Monster"

For this year's version of our session of Westerns, Keith is showing us four mashups: Westerns with monsters


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Week 1: The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1974)
Directed by Edward Nassour and Ismael Rodriguez

My Impressions Going In:
Never heard of this one.

Plot:

Cattle are disappearing, and cattlemen are fighting over land, money and a woman. Then the prehistoric dinosaur appears.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
I have to acknowledge that, while I love Spaghetti Westerns, I am not a big fan of the typical old Hollywood Western with the white-hatted hero and the black-hatted villain. And that's what the majority of this movie was. An hour into it, we were still watching a simple western. And I was bored of it.

Things did pick up when the dinosaur finally arrived. Watching the dinosaur chase down the cowboys was great fun. I especially enjoyed one sequence where the dinosaur was seen eating a cow -- all in stop-motion. The tongue effect was kind of cheesy, and I had to roll my eyes as we saw what were supposed to be dinosaur legs stomping on the ground. Sadly, there was just not enhough of that.

Too much Western, too little beast.

Perhaps my rating was too low. It's unfair to judge a movie harshly simply because I don't like the genre -- at least that's the case if it's a good example of its genre. So, if you feel that way, then add a point or two to my rating.

Ratings
Me: 4
Bob-O: 9
Christina: 7.8
Dave: 9.5
Ethan: 5
Joe: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment