Saturday, July 9, 2016

i liked the creature better than i thought i would



In cinema history class, Dave got BYOM month in style with his presentation of Creature from the Black Lagoon (in 3D!).


Creature is one of those iconic movies that I've heard of many many times, but never actually seen. So this was a treat. And it was even better for the fact that we saw it in 3D -- the way it was meant to be seen when it was released in 1954. So I have to hand it to Dave -- he came through in style for a second straight year (last year he showed Attack of the 50-Foot Woman). I have to admit that Creature is quite good, which I suppose shouldn't be surprising since it is considered a classic.


The filmwork was well ahead of its time, and the creature costme was pretty impressive -- again, for its time. Now they would have used CGI and somesuch, so it would have looked more realistic, but it would lack the charm. I especially enjoyed the long synchronized swimming sequence wherein the creature swam underwater while watching and mimicking Julia Adams.


Part of what I find intriguing is the fact that the creature is actually a very sympathetic monster. The fact is, he was just minding his own business when the scientists and their expedition invaded his lagoon to try to capture him. You really can't help but feel sorry for him. I found myself wondering if the movie was intended as some kind of far-left metaphor for the US meddling in other countries' affairs. Had this been made 15 or 20 years later, I would be sure of it, but this was 1954, before Vietnam. It was post-Korea, but that war was never the quagmire that Vietnam was. Eh, it was probably just a movie.


The one thing that bothers me -- and I realize I shouldn't be such a stickler about this kind of thing -- is that it doesn't make sense that the creature would have a crush on Julia Adams. As beautiful as she was as a human female, it strains credulity that she would be attractive to whatever he was.


In honor of the movie, let me share this music video (of "Creature from the Black Lagoon"). Because Dave Edmunds.







1 comment: